20 Incredible iPad Apps That Will Revolutionize Nursing
With loads of people saying that the iPad will change the way we do everything, who’s to say nursing is not on the list? For only $499, you too can purchase the tablet computer which boasts everything from Wi-Fi connection to HD videos. If you are a nurse and have an iPad or are considering getting one, you may want to know what options there are for you.
To that end, we have gathered 20 incredible iPad apps that will revolutionize nursing. Whether a student or have decades of experience, the way you nurse is about to change for the better. Everything from medical references to diagnostic tools are featured in the below apps.
Incredible Reference iPad Apps That Will Revolutionize Nursing
Never carry along a bulky nurse’s manual or reference book again with the help of your iPad and these nursing apps.
- 1. Carter’s Encyclopedia of Health and Medicine : Over one million words covering 12,000 entries put this nursing iPad app at the top of the list. It is written by Dr. Warwick Carter, who has numerous publications including 3,000 medical articles and 23 books. In an easy to access dictionary-like format, the manuscript covers everything from abbreviations to treatments. It also offers extensive cross referencing for help and a video walkthrough to show you what it can truly do. Best of all, it currently costs only $9.99 to purchase, well below what many medical encyclopedias can run you.
2. Blausen Human Atlas : For only $19.99, you can have a medical atlas of the human body on your iPad. Standout features include allowing the user to manipulate animations with a touch of the finger. Other features include zoom in, zoom out, accompanying narration, and more. The library contains over 7,000 animations and 13,000 illustrations for the viewing. To learn even more about the nursing app, check out their YouTube video.
3. Visual DX : The tagline boasts this app as “the only medical app to show disease variation with multiple images.” It combines physician reviewed information with thousands of images. It showcases disease by age, stage, and even skin type. The app also lets you search by disease, give next steps, enter symptoms, review tests, and much more.
4. Procedures Consult : Nurses can choose from four different apps depending on specialty. They include internal medicine, musculoskeletal, family medicine, and women’s health. The apps come with video tutorials on a host of each of their specialties. Another standout feature is that all videos are stored locally and don’t need a Wi-Fi connection to be accessed.
5. Papers : Look for research papers on the nursing situation of your choice with the help of this app. It also allows you to share, read, bookmark, and sync all of your results. Papers was also the winner of the Apple Design Award for best Mac OS X scientific computing solution on the Mac. The current price is $14.99.
6. 5-Minute Consult : The app helps you diagnose, treat, and follow up on over 900 medical conditions. The 2011 edition also includes “Diagnosaurus,” 200 pediatrics topics, and medical RSS feeds. Bonuses include 130 images for dermatology nurses and loads more. Best of all, the app is completely free from the iTunes store.
7. Davis’s Guide for Nurses : The eleventh edition can help nurses revolutionize the way they understand medicine. It includes over 800 built in drug dosing calculation tools and audio pronunciation of nearly 890 generic drugs. Other highlights include the ability to detect errors such as dosing and adverse drug reactions, along with caution statements. A subscription is required and the shortest is four months.
8. Pocket Lab Values : This app is ideal for nurses, as well as medical students, residents, doctors, and other medical professionals. It provides answers to common lab values. It also has information on each lab value, along with links to sites such as Medline Plus, Google, and Wikipedia. For only $2.99 you can have the answers to loads of labs at your fingertips.
9. eFilm : If you are a nurse who can’t run to imaging every time you are needed, this iPad app will revolutionize the way you nurse. The app allows the facility to send the image to your iPad for the viewing with window-level, stack, zoom, and pan features. You can also download the image to your gallery and manage with others. Get the free trial version for thirty days. If you enjoy, the cost is $9.99 for the app and $25 per month.
10. Skyscape for Nurses : If the above still aren’t enough, stop here for over 160 nursing apps from Skyscape. They range on everything from anesthesia to surgery. Prices also range from free to over $150.00 and various platforms are supported.
Incredible Tool iPad Apps That Will Revolutionize Nursing
These virtual tools will help you and your iPad get more done in a shorter period of time.
- 11. Medscape Mobile : This leading app is one of the fastest, most comprehensive medical or nursing apps on the market. It has an extensive drug database with over 7,000 brand, generic, and over the counter drugs. Other features include a medical reference with over 3,000 diseases, news, images, and more. Best of all, the price is free.
12. Lexi-Comp : This application includes 30-days of access to all databases Lexi-Comp offers for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. It also includes hundreds of images, charts, and tables, available with a cell or Wi-Fi connection. They also offer a ton of other nursing applications.
13. Clinical Orthopedic Exam : Change the way orthopedic nurses do just about everything with this app from Clinically Relevant Technologies. With over 250 possible patient maneuvers, the app covers everything from spine to extremities. There is even a step by step exam procedure to help guide you to the right muscles. The app currently sells for $39.99 and there are other apps available for nurses in spinal manipulation, lower back, and strategies for future needs.
14. STD Meister : If you are a nurse who works with sexually transmitted diseases, this is the app for you. It is a comprehensive guide to the diagnosis and management of sexually transmitted diseases brought to you by MeisterMed. Special features include an atlas of over 200 photos from the CDC public health image library, step by step treatments, text, complete offline capabilities, and even rare STD’s. For only 3.99, it is sure to revolutionize the way you nurse.
15. Osirix : This is an imaging app for Apple devices. It has ultrafast performance, interactive interface, and even a technique for 3D, 4D, and 5D imaging. The nursing app for the iPad is soon to hit the virtual store shelves.
16. Evernote : Not new to the app universe, Evernote is immensely useful for nurses, medical professionals, or anyone who hates carrying a pen and paper. The app lets you create, sort, tag, and organize all of your notes. It even lets you add audio or images and sync them all together. Got an interesting case? Take a picture, voice recording, and notes all with one app. Best of all, the basic service with a monthly upload max of 40MB is free! Click the link to get an instructional video.
17. Mediquations Medical Calculator : Designed by a fourth year medical student, Mediquations is one of the original, most comprehensive medical calculators on the market. The nursing app makes getting the answers you need quick and painless. With 214 formulas and scoring tools and an intuitive interface, Mediquations is the smart choice for anyone looking to revolutionize their nursing for only $4.99.
18. Popular Science : Get your science fix straight from your iPad with the help of this app. In it, you’ll find every story that’s in the print magazine, completely reengineered and redesigned for the iPad. Features include easy swiping, unique browse mode, bookmarking, offline reading, and a special heated mode.
19. The Elements : Get a visual exploration of the elements with this must see iPad app. It lets you experience the beauty and fascination of the building blocks of our universe in a way you’ve never seen before. It contains over 500 examples of chemical elements and was specifically designed for the iPad. Not just for nurses, be sure to check the preview to see it in person.
20. Pocket Medicine : Still have money to blow? Then take out $48.99 and get this nursing app from Massachusetts General Hospital. It provides key clinical information about common problems in all areas of internal medicine. Key features include accessible reference, new topics, sections on specialties, and is compatible with Skyscape’s nursing and medical references. The content also updates for twelve months after purchase.
There are amazing tools and references to be found on the above 20 incredible iPad apps that will revolutionize nursing. Not just for nurses, anyone with a desire to learn about medicine from doctors to patients can learn more with their help. If unsure about something you see on the apps, please consult a physician.
If kicking yourself for having one or more of these apps on your iPhone, don’t despair. You don’t have to repurchase any of them. Click here for a guide from Engadget on how to run iPhone apps on the iPad at no charge. Hint: it’s as easy as syncing from your Mac or PC and expanding them.